MENU

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Thrill of the Hunt | Thrift Store Finds, Part 1



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bargain hunters get a thrill when they find a great deal. I'm no exception. I get a rush of adrenaline when I find something that I'm looking for, especially when it comes to decorating my home. It seems like a stroke of fate when you find that perfect something.

Yesterday when I popped in a Goodwill, I came across this old thing stacked among a pile of big frames and mirrors:

A faux bamboo mirror! I've seen this mirror in a number of decor blogs and love the look. Its actually not made of real bamboo, but some sort of heavy material that is white. I'm thinking of hanging this mirror near a doorway or on top of a dresser. The cost...$7.97!

Another picture of the bamboo mirror:



A great bargain, considering the price that a similar mirror is going for on e-bay - yes that is almost $600 [Sidenote: Sooooo, tempted to re-sell!]:




After swiping this mirror and lugging it back to the cart section to place it into a cart, I thought I would walk out with just the mirror. I was already happy with my find, but I looked around for a few minutes longer and came across this hanging in the bag section.

Yep, its a Dooney & Bourke Signature mini bucket bag! Of course, you always have to take checks in making sure its authentic.

Since this bag was surprisingly shockingly not specially priced, it was hanging along the wall with the other bags and priced for a mere $4.94!

A similar handbag on the D&B site goes for a $135:


A trendy faux bamboo mirror and a designer handbag - all for under $15 (and both found in less than 30 minutes)!

Its on those rare days that you find a spectacular deal such as that. On most days, I leave empty-handed. 


Other great thrift store finds accumulated over time:
{ Echo Rain Jacket - New | Original Tag Price - $72 | Purchased for $6 }



{ Coley Claire boutique dress - New | Original Tag Price - $314 | Purchased for $10 }


{ Nighstand | Original Tag Price - Unknown | Purchased for $12 each }


And my favorite find...a soft leather jacket that looks and feels brand new (no scuff marks or frayed cuffs).

{ Wilsons Leather Jacket | Originally Price Tag - Unknown, but est. $100+ | Purchased for $6 }



I have to say, you do need patience to dig through a pile of junk, but its pretty amazing what treasures you may dig up in a thrift store.

Happy hunting!




You can also see this post on:
southern hospitality

7 comments:

  1. What great finds! I wished I lived near a major metro area so I could find some awesome finds...I'm in Goodwill almost every week and I find some good stuff but never that good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm really excited about them too! It definitely helps to have a few Goodwills to visit near a big city, but someone's "trash" could very possibly be your next treasure. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great finds! Love the jacket and the bag. That mirror is awesome too, you could spray paint it red and save yourself about $588.00 including the cost of paint.

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had some great finds! Isn't it tempting to sell something when you know someone would definitely buy it?? haha. I've had those moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so true Michelle! Haha, don't think I haven't thought of spray painting it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dana! Definitely, I can't stop from checking Craigslist and eBay for similar mirrors and the prices they're going for. I'm keeping mine...for now at least:)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You've got so much creativity and I'm admiring them all. Can you please share your creative posts at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete